The Australian Stud Book reports mating figures for the 2012 season show a decline compared to the 2011 season.
To date, 20,634 mares have recorded coverings by 622 stallions, a decrease of 8% on last year. However, Deputy Keeper of ASB Jacqueline Stewart expects the gap to be narrowed to 5% after late lodgements and paddock serving stallion reports are received for a total of 21,300 by 640 stallions.
Stewart said the breeding industry in Australia has withstood the global economic crisis more than most countries although the preceding outbreak of Equine Influenza saw the beginning of a downward trend in the number of foals produced annually.
“There is still a sufficient number of foals produced each season for racing purposes,” Stewart said. “Increased prices at recent yearling sales, both here and overseas, also indicates that confidence in the breeding and racing industry is rising.”
1. 36 shuttle stallions covered 3,466 mares or 17% of the 20,634 reported coverings compared with 4,333 (19%) in 2011.
2. 441 or 71% were Australian-bred stallions compared with 67% in 1992 when 2,106 stallions covered 29,621 mares.
3. 16 of the top 22 covering stallions were Australian bred, which displays the faith breeders place in our world-class Australian bred stallions.
4. The three top stallions by mares covered, with all exceeding 200 mares, were Snitzel (Aus), Fastnet Rock (Aus) and Sebring (Aus).
5. There were 65 stallions with more than 100 matings in 2012 compared to 69 in 2011 and 264 stallions which covered less than 10 mares compared to 308 in the 2011 season.
6. 46% of mares were covered in New South Wales, 25% in Victoria, 16% in Queensland, 9% in Western Australia, 3% in South Australia and 1% in Tasmania;
Leading stallions by mares covered at 23 January 2013
248 SNITZEL Arrowfield
208 FASTNET ROCK Coolmore
203 SEBRING Widden
196 MYBOYCHARLIE Vinery
196 SMART MISSILE Arrowfield
192 SNIPPETSON Widden
180 WANTED Eliza Park
178 BLACKFRIARS Scenic Lodge
175 MOSHE Eliza Park
173 REWARD FOR EFFORT Chatswood
168 SO YOU THINK Coolmore
165 ROTHESAY Glenlogan Park
163 FOXWEDGE Newgate Farm
160 NORTHERN METEOR Widden
159 SCANDAL KEEPER Yarradale
159 CHOISIR Coolmore
158 HIGH CHAPARRAL Coolmore
157 STAR WITNESS Widden
154 I AM INVINCIBLE Yarraman Park
150 PLUCK Vinery
150 STRYKER Three Bridges
150 CONGRATS Vinery
On the sireline side of the stallions covering mares in 2012:
1. 74 sons of Danehill covered 2,204 mares, headed by Fastnet Rock with 208 coverings and Western Australian Blackfriars with 178;
2. 109 grandsons of Danehill covered 5,163 mares, headed by the stallion which was most in demand, Snitzel with 248, followed by Smart Missile and Myboycharlie with 196 coverings;
3. 7 great-grandsons of Danehill covered 137 mares.
On the damline side of the stallions covering mares in 2012:
1. Daughters of Danehill were the dams of 12 stallions which covered 341 mares, headed by Sepoy with 126;
2. Granddaughters of Danehill were the dams of 2 stallions which covered 360 mares in total, Sebring and Star Witness.
3. With two other stallions in other lines covering another 24 mares, the descendants of Danehill covered a total of 8,229 Thoroughbred mares, which is 40% of all mares covered, compared to 36% in 2011.
Arrowfield sire covered more mares (248) than any other sire in Australia