Racing Victoria has received a record number of yearling nominations for VOBIS Gold.
A total of 1,485 yearlings were nominated for VOBIS Gold by the June 30 deadline – an increase of 12% on last year.
Victorian Premier and Minister for Racing Dr Denis Napthine announced the increase in nominations in Bendigo on Friday. It follows recent enhancements to the VOBIS Gold which offers significant financial rewards to those who choose to breed, buy, own and race in Victoria.
On June 25, Racing Victoria signalled a record $19.4 million in prizemoney and bonuses will be on offer across VOBIS Gold and its mother scheme, Super VOBIS, during the 2014-15 racing season.
“On this special day for horses, I am delighted to announce yet more growth in the signing up of new horses to VOBIS Gold,” Dr Napthine said. “Since its establishment in 2012, VOBIS Gold has become increasingly popular with a 34% increase in just two years.
“By increasing the numbers of Victorian-bred horses, we increase the economic benefits and jobs associated with breeding and racing here in Victoria. For regional areas such as the Macedon Ranges and the Goulburn Valley, thoroughbred breeding is a critical part of the local economy.”
Racing Victoria has the following enhancements programmed for VOBIS Gold in 2014-15:
1. Expansion of the exclusive VOBIS Gold Premier Race Series from 10 to 13 races with the inclusion of four-year-old only and combined three and four-year-old feature races.
2. The 2014-15 VOBIS Gold Premier Race Series to offer $1.9 million in prize money and bonuses – up from $1.5 million last season.
3. The addition of Pakenham as a regional host of a VOBIS Gold Premier Race, alongside Bendigo, Ballarat, Swan Hill, Wangaratta and Warrnambool, with a feature race for four-year-olds programmed at south eastern Victoria’s newest track on 26 April, 2015.
4. Creation of a lucrative VOBIS Gold Breeders Raceday at Caulfield on 18 April, 2015, highlighted by the running of four races in the VOBIS Gold Premier Race Series.
5. A total of $5 million in VOBIS Gold bonuses on offer – up from $3 million in 2013-14 – with $20,000 bonuses available on 100 four-year-old races.